Tuesday, August 10, 2021

By Request

*BY REQUEST
Reader input is a glorious thing. When someone mentions something that they would like to see, its great to be able to fulfill that request. So, to that end, let me discuss...

My Defensive Ability.

"It looked like the ball hit stone" said one Biscuits player.

Haha yeah, I have made a pair of errors this year and some have poked fun at me about it. Obviously they weren't paying attention when I did make the grab on a well struck foul, but for whatever reason a "well placed source" requested a scouting report which I am happy to make public.



What I try to do well is self preservation and situational awareness. I can knock a ball down most times, but not known as a great defender, particularly when drinking. If you see a beer in my hand, you should not rely on me. I am usually good for one or two catches a year, the rest I manage to deflect.



No, I won't always make the catch, but I do know when to pay attention. Sure, I drop a ball here and there but thats why I sit where fewer screaming line drives come thru!

Maybe if Brooks Robinson carried a camera, kept a scorebook and made all his defensive plays while leaning over a concrete wall, I would feel really bad about dropping two balls this year. Instead, I am just happy to have knocked them down. I have plenty in my highlight reel to keep me happy.




UPDATE

Originally I wrote this post in 2017 but this year I felt I should revisit it. Last month I had a foul ball take a bad hop on the warning track in front of me and instead of gloving it the ball struck me on the wrist and I failed to make the catch. I picked the ball up and didn't think much of it, beyond the slight lump it left on my glove hand above the thumb.

Until I got home after the game and sat on the couch where I checked my social media. There I learned that someone was kind enough to clip the error from the broadcast and tweet it to me!


About three days later I made a stellar (if I do say so myself) grab of a foul ball that was struck off the net above the dugout. I enjoyed learning what its like to see my error on social after the game and also learning that when you make that good grab the cameramen don't pick it up, so no credit is given in the eyes of the fans watching at home!


No comments:

Post a Comment